<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/platform.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar/24697920?origin\x3dhttp://tacnik.blogspot.com', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

OYSTERS, FEAR FOR YOUR SOULS!

Every so often I'll hear a piece of music on t.v. Then the Jack Russell in me kicks in and it's a do or die trying to identify it and then find it. A few weeks ago it was the music to the Audi Q7's new commercial. Turns out it was specially written for the car. Artist, Carla Vallet, song, Streets of Tomorrow. Song found, Tak happy.

So, past couple weeks, been seeing the Nintendo Wii commercial with the funky Japanese Lute (Tsugara Shamisen) music. Turns out it is by a Japanese Pop music sensation called The Yoshida Brothers. The song is called "Kodo (Inside the Sun Remix)" and below is a youtube video using it.

On the Yoshida's site there is a music player, try 'Overland Blues' to hear a fusion of southern blues and Honszu Shamisen.


(video smallened because it's more here for the music than the cartoon it is applied to)


And can't forget
Some songs just stay with you for the rest of your life. You know already that they will be around. This is one of them. The video is taken from a movie called "It Couldn't Happen Here" which is the surreal journey across England embarked upon by the film's protagonists, one Mister Tennant and a Mr. Lowe. The Pet Shop Boys. Incidentally, while watching it, catch the look from Lowe to Tennant in the car around 1:16. I hope one day someone is an a car with me and looks at me like that. I'm 'not sure I would ever recover.



Threaded knits
When I was 15 I heard a song late at night on the radio. I kept it in my head for over 15 years. It was "Hold on to Love" by Lene Lovich. In some ways that song is indirectly responsible for me blogging or whatever this is that I am doing. I read someone's blog that also mentioned a liking for the same artist, the topic of her album "March" came up and well the rest is history. From there I have found some really enjoyable places to go read about people's lives. Coy extroverts in Florida, Illusive enigmas in Pennsylvania, Data merchants in Ohio. I look at statcounter lists and wonder just who you are in China, Australia and Poland, among others stopping by to look in the window.

Knowing me, knowing you
After reading about how 'virtual friends' are taking on an ever more important role in peoples' lives, I was thinking about my friend in Illinois. J. We chat on the phone, we send txt's, we've both been involved in the same online art community for over 3 years and we've 'known' each other for about that time. But we've never met. Sure, we know what each other looks like, we know about our lives, secrets, we confide and trust in each other. We have very different lives, especially given that we have a large age difference between us. Although that seems immaterial to anything really. But we've never met. There is a depth of feeling in this 'friendship' and something that genuinely cares. We are not afraid, when the situation warrants, using the word 'love'. We are not romantically inclined, but we care enough that we exist even when we are not in contact. But we've never met.

The nature of relationships are changing. People can argue for all sorts of things, the truth is, the changes that people want to see they will get. How they get them, how the process unfolds, is not that important. Mainly because we seem hardly able to control the process so much as the outcome. The 21st century affords us time. We've had to call our years out differently, eighty-this and ninety-that gave way to a decade where the full year or oh-something gave us a constant reminder that time was different, changing, we were in a different place.

Nostalgia is stagnation spelled another way
How we are using that ability for change, regardless of screaming ninnies (why do you think they're screaming so loud?) wanting us to return to the good old days of "Little house on the Prairie", is the only retrospect we need to be concerned of. We have lived in a time when the storage of contemporary history has never been more comprehensive. What we can see is, there is no use worrying about what we are leaving to future generations, they'll make of the world what they want, just as we did from the mid 20th century platter we were given and there is no point trying to 'honor' some heritage or pay respect to those who went before us by trying to mimic their lives.

Honor principles, not people. Raise possibilities not clones.

To this end, I've been thinking about... dun, dun, dunnnn.... this whole 'gay relationships' thing. I'm going to be honest, and go out on a limb here, with no offense meant. I think trying to mimic the societal norms of current MF marriage and long-term relationships are built on is a crock of crap.

There, I said it.

I think we need to take this opportunity we've been given, something the heteros never have had, and address just what we want from our 'marriages'. Generally speaking, it is the outsiders of a society that actually forms that society. Maybe not in the immediate tense, but pervasive ideas establish themselves and become new 'cell membranes' where the amoebic societal group-thought can flow into and create new 'pseudopodia' of human activity.

If you can't tell, I studied cell biology as a kid, and some things I just can't get out of my head.

But the analogy works in terms of describing how societies and the masses operate and explore new territories. Screaming homos and restless queers are just like the jostling cytoplasm and organelles within an amoeba pushing for expansion.

Anyway, I have ideas on this that I am going to save and put in a different post. My ideas on what heterodox marriage/partnerships could be if we wanted them to.
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

12/08/2006 10:39 AM

Wow. To be a fly on the wall of your brain.    



12/11/2006 6:37 AM

i'm very much the same way - once a tune get's in my mind, it's life or death to find out more - my all time fav commercial was the adidas one that was very dreamlike.... karen o from the yeah yeah yeahs wrote a brilliant tune for it. do you know the one i'm talking about?    



12/11/2006 10:32 AM

Six: wear sunglasses, and rubber gloves!

9W: hehe! yes, i do know it... "Hello Tomorrow" by Squeak E. Clean and Karen O
link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJgyBKvqXUw
i have it too, I believe. email me if you want it!    



» Post a Comment