The road to hell is paved...
"the only way to win is to become just a little bit like the terrorists..."
When is it all too much? NOVEMBER 7TH. VOTE. Take notice of your country, please. I had to fight to get here, doubtless you were born to it's privelege. Vote.
This week a piece of legislation was signed into effect that generally allows the legal system to bestow the rights and freedoms of what has become known as 'habeas corpus' to whom it pleases and withhold it from anyone simply as a matter of decision.
This essential point in our bill of rights gave everyone certain rights and freedoms, especially if accused of a crime. habeas corpus has saved lives from firing squads and electric chairs in cases of mistaken convictions, it ensures the proverbial 'phone call to a lawyer' and even the ability to have a legal advocate to bat for you in the court system.
Though it sounds hysterical to say, we saw one of the final pieces of the puzzle go in to place to enslave the country with martial law. While the threat of terror and attacks is real, do we really think giving up our heritage as americans is the price? I think I can say with more ability than most, I didn't become an american to just be like the british. This is what the founding fathers railed against, what the country turned it's back on and now we are in danger of becoming the thing we despise.
I have lived through terrorist's bombs. I've been caught in bomb blasts. The IRA was a fact of life growing up. But I'd have been damned if I had stopped going about my life and let the bastards win by allowing my fear of them to overpower my determination to remain free.
Can't understand the legalities of it all? Don't have a clue how to keep tabs on your representatives? Use this - http://www.congress.org
And for God's sake, VOTE! (register here: https://ssl.capwiz.com/congress
wikipedia article on 'habeas corpus': http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki
news article: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id
10/23/2006 5:43 AMI think of me whenever I drink rum & cokes too.
» Post a Comment